Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Visioning as a map

We met as a trio last week with J, the library's ambassador to the LLDP program (she helps us find our way, and makes us more comfortable there, so that's how I think of her. It's not her actual title, in fact she's like our sempei in that she's already completed the LLDP training and now is there to liaison and help us through it too. ). During the meeting we talked a lot about what we had covered during the last two sessions, coaching and visioning. I've already written about coaching so today I want to go over having a vision statement.

My mother often listened to those motivational tapes growing up, she was especially fond of Zig Zigler.I don't know why but I got it into my head that doing so was a little silly (I was six and pretty much unformed play-doe) and I've kept some of that feeling ever since. Of course your brain is a powerful tool, and you can use it in many ways to better your life, or even to help keep you physically healthy. This kind of thinking is being studied by scientists and far from silly as I once believed, but still the idea of it has kind of eluded me. It took an explanation from B (my book making friend) to really help me understand why we vision. She said to put your goal on the path you want to take and then move back from there to where you are. Not only can you see where you want to be (motivation) but every step you take on the path is now clearer. One decision may look nicer, but it could take you further away from your goal. In that sense a vision statement is like having a map to where you want to be. If it wasn't for B, and E (my trio) and Ambassador J I would not have this understanding now. I still haven't really learned to fully use this new skill, but I hope to. I have some pretty clear goals that I'd like to get out of this program.

Anyway the next two sessions are next week. We're working on collaboration, so I need to go do the pre-reading and find an article. I'll write more again after the sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment