Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Coaching

I have been thinking some more on coaching, and while it has bee difficult to practice I've been trying to implement it more in my daily life. Not so much at work, because I don't care what they say about leading from where you stand there are some lines that you just don't cross (especially as a young person). So I've tried doing it with the students I've worked with at the desk and with my friends. It's HARD to not give advice when people tell you their problems, like really hard.

So I get that the main idea behind coaching is to help people come to the realization about what they want to do in a situation, which outcome suits them best. Giving advice may feel better to the giver but it can wildly miss the mark too, and occasionally leave the receiver very upset. For personal examples I'll offer up my poor dad, who just couldn't understand why I wouldn't major in a science in University. I could never explain why it wouldn't do, even though it should have been easier for my dyslexic self to manage. But then I am pretty stubborn, and will often take the hard path out of spite just to prove I can.

Coaching is kind of a difficult skill to learn, although it seems like it wouldn't be. It involves active listening, and asking pertinent open ended questions. That's pretty much it... I guess I'll follow up again after the next session?

No comments:

Post a Comment